I absolutely love this recipe. I think it was originally from the Sainsburys magazine. I have made it a few times and it’s a great recipe that can be eaten straight away and doesn’t require a long time to mature. It’s delicious served with a delicious strong cheddar cheese and a dry sherry. Perfect for a tree decorating afternoon!
If you do make it ahead of Christmas, wrap in tinfoil and add a capful of sherry once a week.
FIG, ORANGE & PISTACHIO FRUIT CAKE
For the soaked fruit
250g Dried Figs, chopped
100g dried apricots, chopped
200g dates, chopped
150g dried cranberries
500g dried fruit mix
grated zest & juice of 2 large oranges
100ml sherry or brandy
For the cake
275g muscovado sugar
3 tablespoons treacle
4 large eggs, beaten
100g pistachio nuts, chopped
350g plain flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon all spice
100g ground almonds
1. For the soaked fruit, place it all in a bowl, with the orange juice, zest, and sherry, cover and leave for 3-4 hours or preferably overnight.
2. For the cake, preheat the oven to 160oC, grease and line a 20cm tin, making sure the paper comes above the rim by at least 3cm.
3. cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, and the recall, and eggs beating well, add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine
4. Spoon into the prepared cake tin, smooth the top and pop in the oven.
5. Bake for 3.5 hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. If the cake browns on top beefier baking all the way through cover with a piece of tinfoil.
6. Once cooked allow to cool in the tin, poke holes in the cake with a skewer and pour over a shot of sherry.
7. Remove from tin, decorate with gold glitter and serve !
Thank you Nestling Photography for the gorgeous pics of Ms S decorating the tree with my collection of decorations , shot at their beautiful Paradigm Studio