Today is a public holiday in South Africa called Heritage Day, and I love it! I especially love the way businesses and schools have embraced this “new” holiday, encouraging learners and employees to dress in cultural attire and hold functions and events to celebrate the day in whatever way is relevant to them.
The Department of Arts and Culture describes Heritage Day on its website as a day that, ” recognizes and celebrates the cultural wealth of our nation. South Africans celebrate the day by remembering the cultural heritage of the many cultures that make up the population of South Africa.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF COMMEMORATING HERITAGE MONTH AND HERITAGE DAY
- To celebrate South Africa`s cultural heritage;
- To recognise the role of cultural and heritage institutions in the preservation and educating our nation about South Africa’s rich heritage.
- To promote access of South Africa’s cultural and heritage institutions.
- To create a platform for communities to showcase different aspects of South Africa’s diverse heritage;
- To ensure that heritage landscapes of all cultural groups is not suppressed, threatened but celebrated
- To continue with a national process of uniting all South Africans as people of one nation irrespective of race, creed, and orientation
- To contribute to the education of the South African youth with a special emphasis on arts, culture and heritage learning area;
- To help bridge the intergenerational gap in the transmission of indigenous knowledge, skills and techniques “
However you choose to celebrate, I hope its a super fun day. I’ve written before about how we will be celebrating
Have a great day friends!
Veggie Burgers with Charred Sweetcorn
Earlier this month I was asked to put together this braai shoot for a large retailer to promote Heritage day in their inshore promotions.
Styling & Concept : Taryne Jakobi
Photography: Adam Houghton