EASY CHRISTMAS FRUIT CAKE
100g glacé cherries
160g candied mixed peel
100g silvered almonds
175 g chopped dates
¾ cup brandy or sherry
320g brown sugar
250g soft butter
370g plain flour
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
5g ground cinnamon
5g ground allspice
2-3 tablespoons brandy or sherry, extra
1. Place the raisins, cherries, sultanas, currants, mixed peel, almonds and dates in a bowl and pour over the brandy.
2. Cover and allow to macerate for at least 8 hours or overnight, and if you running out of time simply pop it all in the microwave and blitz it on medium heat for 10 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 140ºC
4. Place the butter and sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
5. Gradually add the eggs and beat well
6. Place the butter mixture, soaked fruit mixture, flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and allspice in a large bowl and stir to combine.
7. Line a 20cm round cake tin with two layers of non-stick baking paper.
8. Spoon in the mixture and bake for 2 hours or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
9. Pour over the extra sherry or brandy while the cake is still hot.
10. Cool in the tin. Remove, pour a tot or two ( be generous!) of sherry over the cake and EAT ! Or, wrap in tinfoil and feed with a tot of sherry once a week to mature or until ready to ice.
This cake may be stored in an airtight container for up to two months.
I don’t usually decorate our Christmas cakes, because we are more into the cake than the icing, if you’re a purest and like both, here’s what I did 😉
I covered the cake in homemade marzipan and fondant icing. I then made royal icing and covered ice cream cones in royal icing, edible glitter and sugared rosemary.
Styling & Recipes : Taryne Jakobi
Photography: Nestling Photography
Shot on location at Paradigm Studios